Aiming to love, serve, share and BE Jesus in Mexico

"The Lord your God is in your midst; he is a warrior who can deliver. He takes great delight in you; he renews you by his love; he shouts for joy over you." Zephaniah 3:17

Sunday, September 26, 2010

¡¡¡Viva La Libertad En Cristo!!!




So... I´m really sorry that I haven´t posted anything in a awhile. Thanks for being patient with me and I will try to do better!

These last few months have passed in what has become the norm: Spanish class, Spanish homework, speaking Spanish, more homework, exploring the city, making friends, getting to know people, ajusting to living in Mexico, all the while speaking Spanish, or trying to anyways. Every few weeks we have some sort of event to help with at the church to change up the scheduel.

Last weekend we had a ladies day and it was super fun. Carla Borja Lowe, the lady who was in charge of Rancho Avalancha in Chetumal, came down from her home in Dallas to give the lessons. Now that I understand a lot more Spanish, I can say I was actually refreshed by her message, not to mention the event was great for getting to know more of the ladies from the church.

I also began teaching English lessons last week to some kids who are moving to Texas soon. Their dad owns a really tasty restaraunt down the street from our house. They are really cool, well behaved kids (ages 13, 11, and 9). I really like their family and I´m hoping that teaching the kids will help me build a relationship with them and give me an opprotunity to share the gospel with them.

I have a small group (or celula as they´re called) that I go to now on Thursday nights at the house of a family from church. There are usually about 10 people there. I really enjoy going and getting to know them.

If you don´t know, Septimber 16th is Mexico´s independence day or EL GRITO. And 2010 is the 200 year aniversary of their independence. To celebrate, a few of my teammates and I went to the state capital of Guanajuato. The celebration starts at midnight on the 15th so we got there at about 8 on the 15th and ate a traditional independence day meal with some members of the church in Guanajuato and then around 10:30 we went to the center of town where the mayor was going to read the speech of Miguel Hidalgo from when Mexico declared independence from Spain, like they do in just about every town in Mexico. There we a ton of people there so we spent half an hour shoving throught the crowds to get a good spot. The celebration was fun. We got sprayed with shaving cream and bubbles, watched the fireworks, and yelled "¡VIVA MEXICO!" with the crowds.

It was so much fun to be able to celebrate Mexican independence here in Mexico but more than "¡Viva Mexico!", "¡Viva la libertad en Cristo!" is what needs to be shouted to the world. Last week I had the privelegige of watching a brother in Christ be born through baptism and it brought to mind the freedom we have with our new lives in Christ. God is so good, so faithful. He never changes and his love never changes. He has given us such wonderful promises in Christ and he will never let us down on any of them. "¡VIVA LA LIBERTAD EN CRISTO!"

Thank you all for reading. Please keep my team, ministries and Mexico in your prayers!

ps Please disregard all errors that would have normally been caught by spellcheck. My computer is now in Spanish and I havent figured out how to do spellcheck for English.

No comments:

Post a Comment